excerpted from A Gazetteer of the State of Massachusetts
by the Rev. Elias Nason, pub. Boston 1874
Hudson is a new, enterprising, and progressive manufacturing town of 577 dwelling-houses, 3,389 inhabitants... It is situated in the south-easterly section of Middlesex County, about 34 miles west of Boston... Its principal village formerly bore the name of "Feltonville." It was taken from Marlborough and Bolton, named in honor of the Hon. Charles Hudson, and incorporated March 19, 1866. It is well watered by the Assabet River, which enters its south-western angle, and passes centrally through it, affording very valuable motive-power. Hog Brook and another affluent come into the river on the north from Bolton, and Fort-meadow brook enters it from Marlborough on the south.
White Pond, of 46 acres, is a delightful sheet of water in the extreme eastern section of the town, to which frequent visits are made by the fowler and the fisherman. This thriving place is is admirably accomodated by railroads; the Marlborough Branch Railroad passing through the Centre, the Lancaster and Sterling Branch opening communication with Worcester and Fitchburg, and the Massachusetts Central Railroad with Boston and Northampton.
The principal industries of the town are the manufacture of shoes, shoe dies and lasts, wooden toys, and iron-work. It has one foundry, one saw-mill, and two grist-mills. It has also one post-officve; a good hotel, the Mansion House; a superior town-hall, and a public library of 2,000 volumes; a farmer's club and lyceum; a savings-bank, incorporated 1869; a good high school and seven school-districts....
The present population of Hudson is about 18,000 persons.
Wiki historical information for Hudson Mass.