excerpted from A Gazetteer of the State of Massachusetts
by the Rev. Elias Nason, pub. Boston 1874
Stow is a pleasant town of 1,813 inhabitants and 242 dwelling-houses, situated in the westerly section of Middlesex County, 30 miles from Boston by the Marlborough Branch Railroad. It is agreeably diverified by hill and valley... The postal centres are Stow, and Rockbottom, a busy manufacturing village on the Assabet River, in the southerly part of the town. Spindle Hill and Marble Hill are prominent objects in the landscape. ... The land is well watered by the Assabet Brook, an affluent of the Assabet River, which runs through the southeastern section of the town. The number of farms is 151, embracing 9,930 acres... Much attention is given to the cultivation of apple-trees, for which the soil is favorable. There is one large woolen-mill, employing about 90 persons; and about 50 persons are engaged in making boots and shoes.
Stow has a good town-hall; a high school...; five district-schools; one Unitarian church...; and one Methodist church... As many as 174 men, being a surplus of 22, went from this town into thelate war.
The Indian name of Stow was Pomposeticut, which a hill now in Maynard perpetuates. Two men named Kettle and Boon together with their families, settled here about 1650. The place was then a wilderness. When Philip's War broke out in 1675, they left the place; but Boon, returning for his goods, was murdered by the Indians. A pond in the south part of the town still bears his name. The town was incorporated May 16, 1683; and probably called Stow from an English town of this name...
The present population of Stow is about 6,500 persons. Before its incorporation the area was known as Pompositticut Plantation.
The location of the railroad station for Lake Boon was on Sudbury Road next to the river, opposite Barton Road.
Apple orchards and apple picking is still big business and a large fall tourist attraction in the town. The town is now also known for its several golf courses.
Rockbottom is now known as Gleasondale, after Messrs. Gleason and Dale, who built the woolen mill referred to in the text.
Matthew Boon is now remembered in the name of Lake Boon, created by damming the pond in service of Amory Maynard's woolen mill in Maynard. Boon monument stands off of Barton Road on Boon Hill.